Wednesday, June 4, 2008

feeling better

Todd (my Uncle) and I rode out in the far back field together yesterday. He rode Epona while I rode Lyra, I have to say that the sensation of getting to ride out, with company, on my own horses is truly wonderful!!
That said, Lyra is definitely feeling a lot better, she threw a couple half hearted bucks and rears in before we got going, I just sat very calmly in the saddle, took a deep breath and reassured her that the grass would still be there when we finished and it would be a lot easier for her to just walk along nicely. She quickly settled down and off we walked. Xandra followed behind, lose, what a firecracker she can be at times!! She kept getting distracted by new grass, would look up, realize we'd all moved on, then kick up her heels and charge after us, she'd pass a little ways up and then dive for more grass, pretty funny!
I plan to trim Lyra's hooves again tomorrow, will see if that continues to help her, she still has some hoof wall separation happening, after the improvement from the last trim though, I'm more than happy to keep her as well trimmed as I am able. Might even go for another little ride, this time with Brandon, Yippie!!
Also for all of you barefoot hoof people out there, I wanted to say about the Easyboot Bares, they are a snap to put on! Might not be orthodox, but if you put your horse's toe in the boot, pull the gaitor away from their heel, then place the boot's bottom on your lower thigh, just above your bent knee, support your horse's pastern with your one hand, while you push their heel into the boot with the other, then place their hoof on the ground and let them push their hoof snug, it takes all of about 30 seconds to put one on. Not sure why the fuss about how difficult they are, I actually find them easier to use than the epics. Actually, I thought I must have fit them wrong since it was so easy, looked through all the info again and no, they fit Epona perfectly (don't have a set for Lyra yet, working on it). Anyway, I highly recommend them!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.